Sunset and Chetwyn
The three-storey semi-detached houses CHETWYND AND SUNSET'
This three storey house adjoining The Nashes was, I believe, the first building, after The Methodist Chapel, that were built maybe in the 1920's along the main road. The other buildings were the two rows of terraced cottages built during Edward VII reign.
Claude Hogg who, in his childhood knew well all the people living along The Nashes, always believed that Chetwyn was used to house the Head teachers who took over from Miss Wilding when she retired. Miss Wilding and her father by the time of her retirement, were living in the white house on the main road – at that time being the last house on the main road leaving the village. It is believed that Miss Wilding had this house built for her retirement and called it 'The Lindens'.
Claude remembers the teachers living at 'Chetwynd' as Baxter, Graylea, Rousseau (who had a son called George whom Claude remembered as being at school with him). He also remembered a part-time teacher, Mrs. Unit, who lived at Shottery and cycled every day to Clifford.
Photo:Homes and Buildings:Chetwyn and Sunset and The Lindens
Then came a much-loved teacher Mrs. Timperley who moved in September 1937 with her husband and son, Trevor.
People for many years have many memories of Mrs. Timperley, but not of Mr. Timperley who possibly died soon after their move to Clifford. Rumour has it that he was rather fond of the 'bottle'.
John and May Huckvale, with their growing family, left the tiny cottage in The Square and moved into 'Sunset' which was always such a puzzle to many people, how they managed to move into a three storey house with large rooms both upstairs and downstairs, while others finished up in tiny roomed cottages. But Mrs. Rees-Mogg made the decisions as to where all her tenant would live
John did his bit for the Parish, organizing concerts and cinema shows in the new Jubilee Hall. He probably had quite a lot to do with the concerts that were held before the Jubilee Hall was built. His only son, also John but always called Jack, also took an active part in the Parish, eventually becoming a Parish Councillor.