Milcote and Station Road
STATION ROAD (NOW MILCOTE ROAD) AND MILCOTE STATION
most information taken from http://www.maxwebcreation.co.uk
The Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway was completed in 1852-1853, and it opened a branch from Honeybourne to Stratford-on-Avon on 12th July 1859
About that time, a new road was cut through farmland at Clifford Chambers and Milcote, and named Station Road. This led not only to this new station and railway line, but past it over a level crossing to the villages of Weston-on-Avon and Welford-on-Avon, cutting off Mr. Butler's farmhouse 'Western Sands' from his farmyard and barns.
Up until then, the road connecting Clifford Chambers to Weston-on-Avon and Welford-on-Avon was, what we now refer to as the Bridle Path, leading past Stanley's farm; up the hill (to where another new road was laid out to reach the Sewerage plant); and then on past the three farm cottages and onto what is now referred to as The Greenway. A Railway-built house, (now named Chambers Crossing Cottage), provided accommodation for the man in charge of the level crossing on Station (Milcote) Road. Just across the line are 3 other cottages. Milcote Manor had a 'drive' leading from this 'road' to the Manor house.
The 'road' then went on to Weston-on-Avon as the bridle path still does – and then on to Welford-on-Avon
The Stratford-Upon-Avon Railway became part of the Great Western Railway in 1883, and on 1st August 1899 by an Act of Parliament the GWR obtained permission for the construction of a high speed line between Honeybourne and Cheltenham stopping, when arranged, at Broadway, Toddington, Winchcombe, and Bishop's Cleeve.
This produced a good line from Stratford-upon-Avon to the West of England with doubling between Stratford and Honeybourne taking place in 1907/1908.
Eventually the line between Stratford and Honeybourne was used only for goods trains, eventually stopping probably sometime 1970. Avril Salmon, then Avril Taylor, when she first arrived in the village, woke up the same time each night, by the sound of a goods train coming to a halt on this line, with all the coaches clanging into each other; then the train moving forward a little; stopping again with wagons clanging, and eventually chuffing off into the distance.
Eventually, her body and brain became accustomed to this noise, and she slept right through it after that!
Long Marston and Honeybourne rail connection continued for use by the Ministry of Defence,but this was closed when the Royal Engineers Depot was closed.